05 January 2006

Hotting up! And the Unpredictability of Life

I Go Back in 2 weeks.

This morning: insurance lady reassured us. Parents' coverage isn't bad. We know how decreped they have to be to warrant cover starting.

This evening: Team R needs me to do a lot of talking with the parents: Power of Attorney? Health Surrogates? Criteria to evaluate care facilities. All the easy stuff? Don't think so.

But I finally talked to F's nephew: his plan IS to swoop in, scoop up F and take her to his home in the West, if anything - Anything? - happens to my dad. He and his wife have part of their house, designated if not quite yet configured, for the care of an elderly lady relative.

But I guess we will still need and emergency plan for here, for when something happens to Dad.

And all I have to do is get D and F into visits to facilities, write to the doctor-designate. Get Dad to tell me about their Power of Attorney and add me, the nephew, a friend or two.

Guess I'm feeling like it's all down to Me and I'm Leaving in two weeks.

Another kind of voice from over there, round the corner, says it's all down to D and F. Down to their fantasies about the end of their lives, about their need for care or not, and about who would provide it.

Insight: As our minds weaken with age or disease, the power of our fantasies and thoughts weaken too. In the end, only those ideas we have committed to law will count.

Damn.

Henry's gone out for popcorn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home