06 January 2006

In two weeks, I'll be in D.C.

What a day! Two nice people look at my car, both make offers. It had potential as a restaurant owner's produce workhorse in Louisville, stabled with a classic red Jaguar; or as the sports-car surrogate of a college kid, bought him by his parents, vouched for by his sister's boyfriend. I was heartened by the vouching.

The kid got it, and they were in a hurry: title transfered at 16:15 today. The restaurant owner gave me a ticket for a free lunch, but not the extra $500. Go eat at his place - Bazo's Fresh Mexican Grill, Wallace Ave., Louisville - make this year better for him than last.

And in the middle of this, Mr. and Mrs. H arrive for their What Next? consultation. It was very clear, serious, positive. They really had decided to move before they came, and talking with me gave space to address the hard bits that had been holding them back.

Married 58 years! He runs, tho' he's given up marathons for triathalon. She walks, so they both make friends out on the tracks. I learned that when the sticky bit of the discussion arrives, if there are two clients, they'll argue. If there's just one, s/he argues with me. Classic small group stuff, in front of me again. The H's were just wonderful at it - all passion verbalised, owned. One of the things Soft Systems Methodology is meant to allow is accommodation between competing world views - they did the work while I was remembering that. Probably not all rides will be as easy. But: I am pretty good at this!

Tea with D and F. The steaks were cooked okay, staving off Meals on Wheels for a bit longer. They have let me take the Buick. Some parents would have loaned their second car from the start. It would have saved me $2500, but I'm not bitter, except when I remember.... I'm glad of the Buick now.

Movies with the Minister was The Brothers Grimm. The Minister choose it because he likes Terry Gilliam. I was feeling very matter of fact, in a bantering group. I believed in the magic of the Princess, was glad the Grimmies won. I do believe in Tinkerbell, and that there is stuff out there beyond our ken. But then, I'm worn out.

At 9:30 tomorrow I have my 3rd What Next?, the first where I travel to the client. It will add set-up time; be looking to see if it makes any other difference. I begin to wonder how I'll get What Next? going in the more reticent UK. (Have I become really Americanised in my 6 months?)

Henry's saying go to bed, and do not drink the rest of the bottle, but I probably will, and probably won't for a while yet. He's just a baby - what does he know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home